Saturday, July 16, 2016

Sophia- Books I've Been Reading!

I've been wanting to be doing a lot of reading this summer. And like all goals I have, that really hasn't happened yet. I don't know. Just most days my brain is like "don't do anything. just don't do anything you want to do." So, I've been dealing with that.

But soon I'm going to the beach! And the beach is one of my favorite places to read :) (comment down below what's your favorite place to read, and what book(s) have you been loving to read at the moment?)

I normally quite a bit of reading done at the beach, and before I head to the beach, I stopped at a library near by. Here's some of the books I've picked up and started to take a little read. (I've started looking at a couple, but I haven't read all completely through. but I'm SOOO excited to read these...you don't even understand.)

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch- My school is actually making us read this book as one of our summer reading books, and I'm not going to be complaining at all! I love books like these so much! They are short, powerful, and thought provoking. It just gives you a special bond with something so different than every other book you may have read. One of the main theme/questions that revolves around this book is "What wisdom would we impart to the world if we knew it was our last chance?" I think A LOT about time, and that's what this book is about. When you hear about 'time management,' you may think about many of things, but I'm always thinking about how much time we have as a person, and how you never know how long or short your time is. I TOTALLY recommend this book if you're like me and enjoy thought provoking ideas and topics that give you that deep, powerful bond. (may I add that I love the cover)

The Art of Creative Thinking by John Adair- Recently, I've been looking around on the internet asking "How can I get my brain to think more creatively?" You should never force creativity, trust me when I say the best ideas just come to you sometimes, but there's nothing wrong with taking some tips to get the blood in your brain flowing a little bit faster. (did that sound weird to anyone else... no just me? ok) Again this is a very short read, but I REALLY recommend if you're like me trying to get your brain to be a bit more adventurous with your ideas. 

The Way I Used To Be by Amber Smith- This is a trigger warning in case you DO NOT feel comfortable with anything related to rape or such. This book takes part in four sections. (If you don't go to an American high school or such, you may not know what I'm about to explain). In high school, you go through four grades which are your freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior year. A girl named Eden, was rapped one night in her own house by her brother's college friend Kevin. This book is such a good thing to read, if you want to, because it gives you an insight about how you don't feel the same ever again around your own house, friends, and so much more. (Of course we have other things that make us feel trapped, but it never hurts to look at another prospective). I especially think this book is really good for high schoolers (or however your school/grade system works), because it helps with seeing other random people walking in the hallways and not knowing what has happened to them before the day you seen them. (does that make any sense.... sorry I'm rambling on and on about these books... I just bloody love these books).

Blink by Malcom Gladwell- Correct my if I'm wrong, but this book I believe is part of a trilogy. The other two books of the series include The Tipping Point and Outliers. Any who, this book is based around how we think without thinking, how some of our choices seem instant, why are some people brilliant decision makers while others are not? (I am absolute crap at making decisions). One line in the summary is "And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others?" I just love that line so much. And if any of you are as into psychology sort of things like I am, you will LOVE how this book is written! (Even if you don't like topics around this too much, but you love reading new things, I really recommend this book.... as well as every other I've mentioned as well). 

All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven- I've heard so many people say this book is amazing, and now I finally have the time to get through this books and enjoy the meanings everyone else keeps talking about. Finch and Violet meet on the top of the bell tower, and they start this huge story together after that moment. (sorry this bit of the explanation isn't as long as I've written for the other books... but I've just kind of repeating my words without realizing it... oops) Basically, this is another AMAZINGLY written book, with an amazing story, and I REALLY recommend you go and check it out if ya want to! :)

Happy reading! What books have you been enjoying reading/ or what books are you excited to read? Let us know :)

Thanks loves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment